Jan 17, 2011

DUVALIER IS BACK IN HAITI--ALIVE!

Never in my life did I ever think I would write those words.  NEVER!  The fact that this is real has rocked my world, and I am angry beyond belief.

I've seen Duvalier's work first hand, and I despise that monster! 

I remember his soldiers driving their tanks through my neighborhood.  I remember them shooting randomly at people and killing to subdue through fear.

I remember feeling that fear.

It's a heat that rushes through your body and stings you as though you are prey to a thousand bees. It's the sight of black smoke on the horizon as new fires get closer and closer.

It's the kind of fear that makes you aware of your mortality before you're old enough to know how to spell your name.

That fear is dead silence punctuated by whizzing bullets and exploding bombs.  It sounds like millions of people hiding, trying not to move a muscle, hoping the Macoute will pass their door.

A friend texted me tonight, "Baby Doc is back in Haiti." 

I thought it was some type of cruel joke until I read about it in several online newspapers.

The man who killed my people, emptied Haiti's treasury, and had been living a free man in France despite his crimes against the Haitian people....That man walked into Port-au-Prince, was not jailed, and is sleeping comfortably.

Has Haiti deteriorated so much that Duvalier could return in this way?

Are we that defeated? 

Something died in me with this news.  Hope.  It was all I've had for my country since leaving 24 years ago.  It is all most Haitians had been left with.



'Baby Doc' Duvalier back in Haiti

No comments: