Sep 24, 2010

Beauty is Not a Walking Bag of Bones

I find it either pitiful or sad how obsessed some people are with being a bag of bones!  Maybe it's a little bit of both. 

I support health consciousness, but what some people consider conscious may actually be an obsession.

If you're watching every single calorie, are depriving yourself of nourishment, and are overly preoccupied with food, you probably have an eating disorder.  That is sad.  Not knowing it is even sadder.

Over a billion people on this planet live on less than $1.25.  These people struggle to eat and meet their basic needs. 

Knowing this makes me ask "What the hell is going on here?"  It's pitiful that while some people are struggling to survive, the people who can't even tell the difference between needs and wants are acting like food is the enemy.

Is a lot of the bobble head obsession derived from some false perception of beauty?  Do people starve themselves because they think that somehow being skinnier is going to make them more beautiful?

I'm conflicted because one part of me thinks: You can loose or gain weight, but ugly is forever.

The other part of me wants to be more understanding.

Perhaps this whole eating disorder thing is not for me to understand.  I just can't relate.

We were given a book in my middle school sex education class that showed how people have different body types.  Some are more athletic (me!), others are more thin, some are more stocky (big-boned), etc.  There was also a section that showed the development of the body from childhood through adulthood.  I remember thinking "I can't wait get to the point where my body 'curves' out."

I used to play sports and loved to run.  Needless to say, there was no curving out for me.  When I developed asthma and became less active, I finally got my little lovehandles that I wanted.

Unfortunately, I'm at the point that I actually have to work out to improve my long-term health.  I realize I've dreaded exercise because it won't take long for me to lose the little pooch that's giving me my slight figure 8.


Still, no matter how my body looks, I'll love it.

Ultimately, I believe God created me and he makes no mistakes.  Perhaps this is the reason I can't relate to those who desire the emmeciated look.  I wonder, "What could possibly be so wrong that you would brutalize your body?"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As a mom, I try to tell my daughter she's beautiful long before she's old enough to develop an eating disorder. I know that's not enough, but for moms of the girls that may or may not be developing the habits - it's a start.